The new Energy Bike from Ohio Energy Project!
The best interactive energy education tool custom built to achieve your educational outreach goals.
- Promote energy conservation
- Power lights, electronics, and displays
- Create excitement at events
- Change behavior and build awareness for a more energy responsible society
- Generate and store power
- Integrate with solar and wind power sources or multiple bikes
The Energy Bike is hand made in the USA in Columbus, Ohio by the OHIO ENERGY PROJECT for our energy education programs. The bike is the culmination of years of improvements and refinements that make it the best Energy bike available with the most versatility and customizeable options. If you have an idea, let us know and we'll try and build to suit your needs. We are a 501(c)3 organization started in 1984 whose mission is to promote an energy educated society and facilitate leadership through effective partnerships with schools, businesses, government and communities. The Energy Bike is our most successful program.
What makes our new ENERGY BIKE the best?
Our bike is more intuitive, more versatile, easier to transport, more durable, quicker to assemble, less bulky, and it incorporates the latest LED technology!
- Easier Assembly: The interlocking aluminum stand quickly and easily assembles and disassembles in both a freestanding and a tabletop configuration without any tools required.
- Increased Durability: By completely enclosing the display board with a removable backing, we have provided greater protection of the wires and electrical components in transportation in addition to providing a degree of protection against rain for outside demonstrations.
- Greater Versatility: The generator for the ENERGY BIKE is no longer a heel hitting part of the bike. Instead it is an integral part of the stand for the bike so virtually any bike can be used to power the board (though the German designed bike that comes with it is the best yet and will accommodate a wide range of people from about 4' to over 6' with an eight inch stand over height on the cross bar to make getting on the bike very easy.
- More Intuitive: The new board is simple to use and requires very little training to successfully operate. Through the use of rotary switches switching between the three amp gauges and the three sets of light bulbs is very quick to do and less confusing than other boards.
- Easier Transport: The new ENERGY BIKE board and stand comes in a custom designed and padded hard case which has three handles and a set of wheels to allow for easy transport and it will fit in almost any vehicle. We have also shaved more than 20lbs off the old case with the new one weighing in about fifty pounds. The generator and stand come in a padded nylon shoulder bag with internal and external pockets built in for accessory items. If you are in good shape you can actually carry everything in with one trip (as long as someone gets the doors for you).
- The Latest Technology: The new ENERGY BIKE integrates the latest up and coming LED lighting technology allowing riders to see and feel the energy savings realized when switching from Incandescent bulbs to compact fluorescent bulbs and then ultimately to the LED. While LED bulb technology is still evolving, it will be the choice of future generations due to its longevity, efficiency, and durability.
The Classic Educational model:
The beauty of the Energy Bike is that it educates both children and adults alike on how to conserve energy and the degree to which doing something as simple as switching to a different type of bulb makes a difference. The rider provides the energy to the board by pedaling the bicycle. By doing so, the rider can both see and feel the varying amounts of energy required by the different types of bulbs. Since the more wattage a bulb or device requires makes it harder it is to pedal the bike, after a short 30 second ride the rider will understand the importance of switching away from incandescent bulbs to more efficient lighting choices.
The new Energy Bike that we have created consists of a 1/8" polycarbonate board. This provides a safe durable non-conductive display framed with 1" adjustable aluminum tubing. This frame snaps together easily to allow for quick dismantling providing two height options. For example, the board can be used on a table with only the feet inserted into the main frame of the display stand, or free standing, with 36" extensions inserted to bring the display board up to eye level, simply by switching out parts of the stand.
THE CLASSIC DISPLAY
The display uses a rotary switch to easily change between the three different amp gauges to allow for accurate measurement of various loads with a 0-1-amp meter, a 0-5-amp meter, and a 0-30 amp meter. The educational board also uses two super-capacitors, which will allow the rider to store enough energy to power a couple CFLs or the four LEDs for an amazing amount of time. Four dc sockets are built into the board for the various accessories. The board also shows the difference between a fuse and a circuit breaker and teaches electrical safety in regards to the amperage various gauges of wire can safely carry. The board is weather resistant with a black polycarbonate back panel that fully encloses and protects the internal wiring while transporting.
The new energy bike utilizes 2.5-watt LED light bulbs for comparison to the CFL and Incandescent bulbs that can be done very quickly with the use of another rotary switch. This allows the instructor to switch very quickly between the three different sets of light bulbs to show the difference in the amount of energy required to light the various sets of bulbs. Since it takes so much power and the rider has to pedal so intensely to light all four incandescent bulbs, when the instructor switches from four Incandescent to the four CFL's, it comes as such a relief and the rider realizes instantaneously how much less energy the CFLs require. The LEDs take even less. Although there is a setting so all lights can be on at the same time, the greatest impact is had on selecting quickly between the three sets and having the person riding see and feel the dramatic changes in the power required to light each set of bulbs.
What it includes:
- Back cover to protect wires and internals while providing a more finished look
- Toggle switches for each bulb in addition to rotary switches to switch quickly between the three sets of lights for easy comparison.
- 0-15 volt, 0-30 amp, 0-5 amp, and 0-1 amp precision analog gauges used to measure
- 12 different light sockets,
- Fuse and circuit breaker
- 4 dc power receptacles
- Attractive clearly labeled panel with vinyl overlay which can be customized with your graphics
- Packed in custom built rolling hard case with three closure straps along with another for generator bag with three handles and wheels for protection and easy transport. Storage compartments for bulbs and accessories.
- Binder posts
- Capacitors for power storage and voltage regulation
- One power input for bike
- Can be used with any bicycle with 26" or larger tires
- Tabletop display stand for use on desk, table, or lab bench, can be used in upright position as well.
- Comes with curriculum book and instructions for assembly and troubleshooting
- Comes with 4 incandescent 50 watt bulbs, 4 CFL 15 watt bulbs, and 4 2.5 watt LED bulbs
- Will power any device designed to plug into a cigarette lighter socket for use in a car, boat or RV
- Comes with hairdryer, 2 speed fan, radio/ CD player, dc-dc adapter, dc-ac 200-300 watt power inverter, heated mug, 12 volt extension cable, thermometer, stopwatch,
- 12-volt power generator on Kurt Kinetic bicycle stand for the most stable platform available. Works with any bicycle with 26" wheels or larger.
- Stores in soft padded shoulder carrying case with interior storage pockets
- Built and tuned Biria EZ-7 bicycle for the easiest and safest bicycle to board
- Total Kit Cost is $5000.
The Display Transport Case
Custom Made in Columbus, Ohio for the Energy Bike by Scorpion Case, The board fits into a ABS plastic case that measures 47x19x8 and has three stout handles and wheels for easy transport. Reinforced with ¼" plywood on three sides and padded to accommodate the stand, the display board also has an accessory compartment for the bulbs, and 12volt electronic devices. The case packed up with display board and accessories weighs approximately 54lbs and fits into most any car.
The generator stand for the board allows the use of any bicycle with a wheel diameter (found on the sidewall of the tires) measuring 26 inches, 700c, 27" , or even up to a 29" tire. The bicycle stand manufactured by Kurt Manufacturing is, in our opinion after trying many different one, the most stable and rugged trainer stand in the bicycle industry. It will provide a reliable rock solid platform for riders to mount and dismount from the bicycle and will NOT tip over even while pedaling the bicycle in a standing position. This stand is used by competitive cyclists for rigorous training in the off season and can take a lot of abuse…but use some common sense and just make sure the bike is securely installed in the stand. The stand comes with a video on how to attach and remove the bicycle from the stand. Attached to the stand is a 12volt generator that creates up to 20+ volts of power up to about 20 amps so watch your gauges on the board and keep the gauges under 15volts.